Before microwave technology found its way into households, there was nothing like a quick hot meal. You had to light up a cooker and wait a few minutes for a 'quick meal.' However, all that has changed today thanks to a microwave oven. The level of convenience the device provides is unrivalled, and thus, most homeowners consider it a gem in a kitchen. That said, a microwave oven can malfunction and warrant repair. Read on for signs that your microwave oven needs the attention of a technician.
Food Takes Longer to Cook or Warm — Different kinds of food need varying durations to cook well in a microwave oven. For instance, macaroni and cheese need approximately 3 minutes in a microwave oven to cook. On the other hand, loaded baked potatoes need about 9 minutes to prepare. If you have accurate recipes, then you know how long each meal should take in a microwave. However, when a meal that used to take 5 minutes to cook now takes 10 minutes, your microwave has a problem. The same applies when food takes longer to warm. The issue might be attributed to heat loss via damaged seals or an electrical malfunction. Whatever the cause, it is advisable to let a qualified electrician repair your microwave oven.
Buzzing Noise — A microwave oven should operate quietly throughout its service life. Therefore, when you start hearing a buzzing noise as a turntable rotates, it is a clear sign that a microwave has a problem. Trapped food particles might cause the clanging or buzzing sound beneath a turntable. You can try cleaning the turntable and listen for any changes. If the noise persists, the chances are high that a capacitor, magnetron or gears are failing, and you need an electrician for such repairs.
Exterior Casing gets Hot — It is typical for the exterior casing of a microwave oven to heat up, especially when heating food for a long time. Most brands have a sign on the housing cautioning users about this phenomenon. However, if an exterior casing gets hot after a few minutes of heating food, then you may have a faulty microwave oven on your hands. The issue could result from a defective circuitry. However, you need an electrician to confirm the cause of overheating. The good news is that a licensed electrician can easily reconfigure a malfunctioned circuit board and restore functionality quickly.
For more information, speak with a professional who provides appliance repairs.