Signs You Need Electrical Repairs

Electricity is one of humanity's greatest inventions, and nowadays, it is impossible to imagine life without electricity just like you cannot imagine living without the internet. In the last decade, there have been thousands electric shocks reported in Western Australia. Most of these incidents occur in the home and some have resulted in fatalities. Electric fires can be difficult to contain, and the moment you notice any strange electrical activity, you need to call an electrician. Here are some tell-tale signs that your home needs electrical repairs.

Flickering Lights

In some cases, a flickering lamp means you need a new bulb or that the bulb needs to be tightened. It could also be a sign of poor electrical wiring. Light from lamps should be consistent unless you have a dimmer switch.

Dim or flickering lights are a sign of electrical issues that need urgent attention. If you notice excessive dimming or flickering, determine whether the flickering occurs at the same time. If this is the case, then the problem is with the power grid. However, if it is inconsistent, consult an electrician. You should also be alarmed if the problem occurs when using small appliances. This is a wiring issue because there are many outlets using one circuit.

Insufficient Power Outlets

If you are living in an old home, you may not be able to use many outlets. Many people use a surge protector so they can add more outlets. However, issues may arise if you overuse surge protectors. This is because too many components are drawing power from one place.

The best way to resolve the issue of insufficient power outlets is to call an electrician. The professional will upgrade the wiring of your home. This way, you will be able to use more and modern outlets without any problems.

Frayed Insulation

One of the tell-tale signs that you have a wiring problem is frayed insulation. Cable shields protect wires from conductive materials like metals. They prevent accidents such as incidental abrasions. You could easily experience a short circuit if the insulation covering your wiring is broken.

Old structures with old wiring usually have this problem because of outdated installations. A circuit overload could also destroy these sheathings leading to overheating. Additionally, rodents nibble on this insulation, leaving the wires exposed. While electric tape can help you seal the exposed areas, it can only do so much. You need a professional electrician to apply a permanent coating or to the necessary replacements.

For more information, contact a company like O'Brien Electrical & Plumbing Coopers Plains.